Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right path. PROVERBS 3:5-6

Friday, April 10, 2015

Our Story – part 4: Placement #2 & #3


My sister starting having trouble in her life and her children were removed by Children Services in Toledo.  This was the same two nephews we had back in the beginning, except now there were 3 more added to that family.  The last time we had them, because of how hard it was, we said we would NEVER take them again if things got bad a 2nd time.  Of course, after praying and knowing what God wanted us to do, we said yes to the three younger ones.  Jaylie, Julia and Joshua came to live with us the beginning of February 2011.  That was a crazy adjustment.  We went from 4 kids to 7!  Because of their ages, it was so much more difficult.  We had two almost 2 year olds and two almost 3 year olds in the house now.   My two older nephews went to live with my dad. 

We had visits at our house every other weekend.  I really wanted this to work and for my sister to get better and for the kids to move back home with her.  I wasn’t sure I could handle this many children for long.  It didn’t work out with the older kids at my dad’s for reasons I can’t really get into, but they were moved to an aunt’s house on their dad’s side of the family.  We had to set up visits with the siblings and their aunt decided that she would take all 5 kids to keep them together.  I did not think it was a good idea, but the kids did need to be together.  The social worker decided to have weekend visits at their aunt’s house on a trial basis.  After two weekends, I couldn’t get their aunt to schedule another.  Thank God they didn’t move them without the trial. 

Fast forward a few months…My oldest nephew was struggling with the place he was living.  He didn’t fit it and was becoming depressed.  In September, the aunt called Children Services and said she could no longer handle the two boys!  I didn’t know what to do.  We had already turned our office into a bedroom to make room for the three little ones.  We put our selfish thoughts out of our head and decided to trust God to provide for us!  We took Joey and Jacob the end of September 2011.  Their room was made out of a room we were going to use as a spare bedroom.  Except for the extra food, there was not a lot of adjusting.  They are really good kids.

When we built our house, the plans had a formal dining and living room.  We decided to close off both of those rooms and put doors on them instead of the open walk ways that were in the plan!  God knew to prompt that!  Both of those rooms are bedrooms now.  We are so thankful for some of the changes we made in our house plans.  We added on to the garage.  Had we not, our 15 passenger van wouldn’t fit in it.  We added a larger pantry which is much needed now.   We upgraded to an 80 gallon hot water tank!  Huge blessing now!


So, after trying to work a case plan, my sister and the kids’ father, never got to a point where the kids went back to them.  There were many lectures and fights that I’m not proud of between my sister and I. I was so frustrated because I didn’t think we could adopt them and I didn’t want them split up!  Foster care is one thing, adoption is another.  Financially, I thought it would be impossible.  It was amazing to watch my God move mountains for us!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you shared your story. I found your blog through Reece's Rainbow. It's funny... the other day I was Googling for a blog that would outline how a family started doing Foster care. I feel like it might be something God wants for our family... or adoption... or both!

THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

That's awesome. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm in Ohio. Most states have different laws and requirements, but I'll try to help if I can.